Fair warning ahead of time, this list is going to be ALL OVER THE PLACE, because I have really random taste in movies. LOL Some of these have been favorites since I was a little girl, and some are more recent faves that have worked their way into my heart.
1) First up, the mother of all musicals, in my opinion — The Sound of Music! I remember growing up watching this every year when it came on TV (I think around Easter time?), and then eventually we got the 2-tape VHS anniversary edition so we could watch it whenever we wanted. I now own my own copy of it on DVD and it still gets watched at least once a year. :) You may even recall that I did an entire styled shoot based on the film. It definitely holds a special place in my heart! <3
2) This one NEVER gets old. You’ve Got Mail. So many good one-liners, an inspiring love story, and Meg Ryan’s adorable haircut. In fact, while I’m writing this post I’m watching this movie!! You probably don’t want to watch it with me because I’ll recite the whole thing. “Don’t you just love New York in the fall? It makes me wanna buy school supplies.”
I also wrote a blog post for the Happy Togs blog last year called “It Ought to Begin by Being Personal,” which was inspired by a quote from the movie.
3) “Damn, we’re in a tight spot!" A long-time extended family favorite of the Birches, and one that most of my family members know all the words to — O Brother, Where Art Thou? Again, lots of great one-liners, and so funny in a quirky kind of way that is typical of Coen Brothers film.
4) This is one of the more recent additions to my Top 5 — The Sex & the City movie. I first saw it when a group of girlfriends for a bachelorette party, and since then will usually stop to watch parts of it if it happens to come on TV. The story is so beautiful and heart-wrenching all at the same time, and I think it perfectly sums up the foursome’s friendships, relationships, and is the perfect tribute to the TV series. The story is well written and makes me fall in love with the characters all over again.
5) I know someone will point out that this photo is actually from Guardians 2, BUT the film that makes my Top 5 is the original Guardians of the Galaxy. Guardians is a member of the Marvel Comics family and is so colorful, witty, and has an AWESOME soundtrack. Seriously, my favorite Pandora station is “Guardians of the Galaxy.” So good. A couple years ago we dressed up as Star-Lord, Gamora, & Rocket for Halloween (we couldn’t talk Hadley into being Groot.) Ha!
We love to quote this movie too, and find the characters all hilarious. It’s safe to say my family is very much looking forward to the Avengers: Endgame movie coming out later this month! #downwithThanos!
Honorable mentions go to:
National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation — we usually watch this one 2-3 times during the Christmas season, and often once in July also. It’s THAT good!
“Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?”
Stepbrothers — If this one is on TV, you bet your butt we’re stopping to watch it. It is hands-down our favorite movie to quote, and maybe even the funniest movie that Aaron and I know of.
“Did we just become best friends?” YEP!
Armageddon (high school Holly’s favorite movie of all time) — HAHA!
“Man, why do you have a gun in space?”
The Cutting Edge — another favorite of high school Holly’s, and one of the earliest love stories I can remember being drawn to. Toe pick!
“It was either that or Curious George plays hockey — I took a chance.”
So there you have it! My Friday Fives! I’d love to hear what your Top 5 movies are! Leave a comment below or on FB or IG! Also, thanks to 2018 bride Katelyn for this post’s cover photo from her thank you box I sent last year!